Through our commitment to the excellent care of cats and their owners, Kentdale is working towards achieving ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic Status (Silver Level) as accredited by International Cat Care (iCatCare).
At Kentdale we understand that cats are not just small dogs! Cats not only have a different range of diseases to those of their canine cousins, but they also have different temperaments that should be handled and treated in a different way.
Bringing your cat to the Vet can be stressful for you and for your cat. Here at Kentdale we do all we can to minimise the difficulties that cats and their owners may encounter when they come to see us. Our staff are trained to be aware of the needs of cats and their owners, and we have put in place feline-friendly facilities as well as ways of working, to make your visit as stress-free as possible.
Our Cat Friendly Staff
- Knowledgeable Vets, Nurses and Clinical Support staff who are aware of the different needs of cats
- Cat-friendly receptionists, offering advice on reducing stress during travel and for your visit
- Caring, empathetic handling of feline patients
- Feline patients handled in a quiet, stress-free environment, away from dogs
- Veterinary and Nursing staff providing care for our feline in-patients 24 hours a day, 356 days a year.
Our Cat Friendly Facilities
- A spacious, quiet, off-street car park for stress-free transfer to the reception area
- A warm welcome at reception, with the option of a privacy cover for your cat’s basket
- A separate cat waiting area, allowing your cat to relax in their basket, out of sight of other animals
- Cat weighing scales
- A fully appointed cat ward equipped with;
- a layout that prevents sight of other cats
- igloos for privacy and to provide a higher viewpoint
- comfortable, cosy bedding
- a variety of types of cat litter
- cat-friendly toys
- privacy covers for kennel doors, if needed
- Isolation ward fully for hospitalisation of infectious cases
- A quiet examination room for individual, private assessment of in-patients
- State-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical facilities catering for the smaller anatomy and physiology of cats.
Meet our Cat Friendly Advocates:
Heather McGinty, Registered Veterinary Nurse
Heather joined our team at Kentdale in June 2020. She finds nursing Orthopaedic patients incredibly rewarding as she enjoys watching the developments and progress each individual patient makes on their road to recovery.
Heather also has a keen interest in feline welfare and behaviour. After rehoming a feral cat three years ago she understands the complex needs of feline patients and strives to ensure that our feline patients are always comfortable and stress-free.
“I love cats, they always look so mischievous and cheeky. Their behaviour fascinates me, they are very clever animals and have so much to give. There’s nothing more rewarding than building up a bond with a nervous feline patient and being rewarded with purrs and headbutts”.
In her spare time, she enjoys hiking, camping and watching the local wildlife.
Sammie Dent, Student Veterinary Nurse
Sammie is a Student Veterinary Nurse and joined our team at Kentdale in 2017 as an Animal Care Assistant having always wanted to work with animals. Previously she worked with horses.
Sammie has a horse and two kittens who like to take up a lot of her time. As a cat lover, Sammie is thrilled to be a Cat Friendly Advocate for the Hospital and is looking forward to ensuring all those beautiful felines receive the highest standard of care for their individual needs.